Saturday, December 25, 2010

All is calm

All is calm, all is bright
This is the picture of the beach and lighthouse this morning. The church has the best real estate in town and after Mass this morning we stopped so I could take a picture of the ice encased light house, snowy quiet beach and the blue sky just starting to peek through the clouds. It really was beautiful, and a sight the summer people just don't appreciate. But we do.

We had a quiet day today, just Patient Husband and I. You'd never have known it was the holiday. We had our time with our kids the weekend before so this weekend was very quiet. After a nap we went to some friends' house to help eat the leftovers from their Christmas after their kids left. We love their company so the evening was good.


Last night, Christmas eve, we, my siblings, their children and ours spent the evening with my mom. That's us. You know Elizabeth and wiggly Adelaide. My daughter, Lisa, my mom and me.

Yummy in your tummy!!!


Now Christmas is over, it's time to start thinking of gooey goodies for the New Year's celebration. That, too, is very quiet for Patient Husband and I. We decided long ago not to pay the prices of going out on New Year's Eve, the weather is usually snowy horrid, and believe it or not, the New Year arrives even without our supervision. BUT I must tell you about this wonderful recipe I ripped from a magazine just before Christmas. I made it and it's a wonderful (shhh....healthy!), delicious snack that could easily be a meal.

Take three different kinds of olives, I used a pimento stuffed green, a black and a burgundy. Next time I'll be more adventurous. Drain them. The recipe calls for one cup of each but I just used the whole jar. It was close enough.
Toss the olives with:
1/4 cup olive oil,
1 Tablespoon Herbes de Provence (a mixture of rosemary, cracked fennel, thyme, savory, basil, tarragon, dill weed, oregano, lavender, chervil and marjoram),
8 cloves garlic (I used two tablespoons jarred minced garlic)
One pint grape or cherry tomatoes (I used two pints)
Bake at (our) 350 degrees till the tomatoes pop

Serve at room temperature spooning some of the mixture and olive oil onto slices of toasted baguette or crackers.
This was amazingly good. I told Patient Husband I could make a meal of it. And what part of it isn't good for you?

I just looked at the clock and it's ten minutes past Christmas. Hope yours was a nice one.

No comments:

Post a Comment