Friday, January 7, 2022

Zoom again


Last weekend, New Year's Day for me, the next day for Australia, Chooky organized another zoom chat with like minded quilty bloggers.   It's a great selfless plan she has to send out word and a link approximately once a month - as her schedule  allows - to her blog followers turned friends to keep in touch.   This started as a way to alleviate some of the angst of being shut in for most of the world this past year.  We log in, stitch, chat, compare notes on our lives, laugh, and feel like we were at a stitch-in or even a retreat.  Some of us even arrive in pajamas and one, who will not be named here, just about rolls over in bed, switches on her computer and joins us. Early Saturday morning isn't for her.   Some come and stay for the whole duration, some go in and out as chores and other things dictate.  My longest stay is 5 hours and then the battery goes dead and I have to charge up.  Even at retreat I have a hard time sitting that long at once.  

Some who come get a LOT done, some like me, not so much.  This time I even had hand work prepped and I did stitch but I have a short attention span and find it's also nice to just sit and chat.   We come from all over the world, Germany, Austria, Norway, Canada, U.S., England, France, New Zealand and of course Australia.  We've discovered we are all different, we all have different taste in quilts, we all are all going through this pandemic thing in the same ways and we are all the same. 

Chooky talked about this link on her blog

I thought it was such a clever way to commemorate how we manage to stay sane. 
Also, I knew I would never go through what this  quilter did to remember this zoomy time but I did, in my dream state, think of this.

There was a fat quarter of this map fabric in the stash. I cut it in half.  There are a LOT of bits and pieces in the scrap box so I cut 2 inch squares, drew a grid on the map and am now hand applique stitching patches of fabric onto the map to commemorate the coming together of quilty people via Chooky's generosity.  Little patches of people covering the world.


Just a little way to remember how far away we are but how close we can be.  After putting all squares down I'll quilt it along the grid lines which you can see if you squint.  Each square is centered and measures 1.5 inches.

On my post about the clamps I mentioned that I had to leave the quilt group I was in here because of their non-vac and non-mask take on life.  Janet commented that it's a shame I don't have a group of like minded quilters with which to gather.  I emailed back, "oh, but I do!  Chooky's zooms!"

Thanks again, Chooky.  What you are doing IS appreciated.
 

8 comments:

  1. Your applique blocks on your map are a good idea. It was good to see you in Zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I feel like crying........happy tears.......what a wonderful idea that you have taken from the video I showed you.....do you have a sleepy cat to add in there your the unnamed zoomer......I too will continue.........its so precious to me, you and many others.....hugs.....its our group.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to see you in zoom time, it is a wonderful group led by Chooky. Love your piece you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, really appreciate Chooky's efforts and organizational skills. It is a delightful experience.
    Love your piece commemorating our expanse across the globe. Very clever.
    Yes, Chooky's Zoom is my quilt group, too. I have no other. These are my people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love joining in with Chooky even though I live on the other side of Aussie ( which I noticed you haven’t marked, 🥲) and I’m 3hrs earlier and often miss you and others…
    Your map looks fabulous and will be a great mini wall hanging…..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post and wonderful idea to celebrate "our tribe".

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have certainly embraced Chooky's Zoom sessions!
    Although we have all been affected by COVID - and not all in a good way - Zoom has been a great thing - fun for us - but so much more to Chooky who doesn't have nearby groups etc.
    Love your map idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little quilt of the world. Chooky is a great lady and always tries to keep her chickens together may be we should call her mother he. Just found out they have removed all restrictions from the border so i might be able to go see her after my leg op is all done and recovered.

    ReplyDelete