Thursday, May 13, 2021

Pie

I love pie.  My pies are ooey, gooey spill over, packed full, NEVER, EVER made from canned pie filling and sometimes ugly.  But that ugly means it's real, the uglier it looks the better it is.


                                                                          My pies are packed tall

                                                   They need a bib for the spillover in the oven
                                                                 They are boiling over messy and lush.

I will choose pie over cake and cherry or blueberry over any other.  I never, ever order apple pie because everyone, especially bakeries and restaurants make it too sweet for my taste. I never use a recipe, I kind of just dump everything in a bowl, add tapioca for thickener, a bit of butter because everything is better with butter and put them in the oven.  And because of this I never truly know how they're going to turn out. Except for the strawberry pie.  That pie is perfection on a plate.  That pie is the reason God made strawberries.  That pie is a month away.

It's been a long time since I made a pie and this morning I made this one, a black raspberry pie with the  berries I picked last summer. A pie is normal, a homey dessert  and tomorrow we are finally doing something normal once again.  Friends are coming for dinner and I made a normal pie and home made vanilla ice cream for dessert. Doesn't get much more normal and homey than that.


8 comments:

  1. Homemade pie is a special treat. I really don't like them to boil over in the oven but when that happens you know the pie is done - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! My family chooses pie over cake any day (though hubby will often choose cheesecake). But the "favorite" is so varied it is hard to make one that pleases all, though pear comes close. My personal fav is cherry, hubby's is pecan, Mom's is chocolate cream and the kids range from pear to pumpkin to raspberry. I am a recipe follower, but it took me many tries for each flavor to find the one I wanted to keep making (other than the pear--first try was it).
    Enjoy your "normal" pie and ice cream at your dinner with friends. Isn't normal wonderful? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denice your pies are on my wishlist! They always look so delicious....enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pie looks great..... Enjoy having your visitors for dinner

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pie looks amazing , have a wonderful time with your visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful to have some normal and enjoy visitors , the pie looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree! Pies rule. The messier the better. I'm particularly interested in that blue and white bowl/plate you have under one of the pies. I think it's pottery made in Boleslawiec, Poland. Years ago, I bought one piece at a thrift store and now I'm a little hooked on the pottery. I don't own much but I love each piece. And now I'll have to make a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking pie, and glad you can enjoy visitors again

    ReplyDelete