Thursday, February 4, 2021

Challenge

 

    Way back when life was normal and we actually thought we were going to quilt retreat at our heavenly place Friend Barb threw down the gauntlet and challenged us to make a basket quilt.  This particular basket. She made templates for all of us and sent them in the mail.  It didn't have to be big, she said, it could be small as a pillow but hey, she said, let's do this!  So, being a good sheep I jumped on board and made 84 of these things thinking quilt.  Well, there's something about on-point setting that doesn't compute in my brain.  I laid them out on our bed and it worked just fine.  I numbered the rows, picked them up and when it came time this week to attach them to each other, now that the butterflies are done, I COULD NOT get my brain to see it.  I called PH into the room.  He tried to help but I was just a lost case so said, "Heck with it, quilt no more.  Table top it is"  because I could lay them out on the table top and see it.  Go figure.

  When I made them I wanted the baskets to read blue because I like blue.  And because most of the backgrounds to the baskets were different from each other I wanted to do something different for the setting triangles and add a border.   This floral has been living in the stash for maybe 15 years and I could never cut it because it was too pretty.  Well, not anymore.  I looked in the mirror.  I had a birthday.  Nothing is out of bounds anymore. 

   So, here it is, whipped fresh off the machine and photographed.  Now it's ironed, folded and put with the butterflies waiting for basting.  I need a nap.

Oh, hey, did I post the butterflies?



6 comments:

  1. Sometimes we just have days like that, I often fins blocks move between being on the floor and me sewing them and I get a different pattern. Your baskets look wonderful and I love your butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree with Sue , blocks do move from design wall/bed to our sewing machines.
    I also can’t get my head around point but thankfully the lovely Jude from http://newsfromjude.blogspot.com/ help me set my “Sisters” by sending me a design she did on a EQ??
    Love those baskets with the perfect border and the Butterflies look lovely too photographed in the snow.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a story behind the basket piece. I laughed at "being a good sheep"! :)
    Well, it looks very sweet, no matter how it all came about.
    Look at that pretty bunch of butterflies, and the random flowers. Takes me back to when I was a 4-H entomology leader, and we hunted butterflies around the fields. This is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great butterflies and baskets. I love blue too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blue floral around the baskets. The baskets have worked out great. The butterflies are so lovely and a wonderful top completed. Great work..

    ReplyDelete
  6. the baskets look great......but yes sometimes we get stuck in a spot..........table runner looks good.......blue is the perfect colour.........
    love the butterflies.......

    ReplyDelete