Saturday, March 28, 2020

Quilter's Quarantine

     Like the rest of the world, we are on hiatus from contact with people.  If you gave up people for Lent, well, it was a good year to do it.  Add to that my own CDC (Center for Disease Control) lock down because we were overseas less than two weeks ago,  it makes it very difficult to do Show and Tell with a friend. 
     I was asked by my daughter-in-law to make masks for her at work.  She works in a nursing home on the other side of the state.  I tell everyone I quilt, I don't sew.  I don't have a sewer's stash of stuff...elastic, bias tape, etc.  I have fabric.  Making face masks is a busy home industry right now and not only did I not have any elastic, no one else does, either.  I had two choices.  I could either take the elastic out of my underpants or get in the car and do a porch pickup from Friend Marilyn. She had some bits, one package of elastic and one package of bias tape.  So I got in the car.  The CDC said it was ok to go for a ride, we wouldn't be with people if we were in the car.
     Marilyn told me to bring my camera. She has been using her time to make string blocks and has been working hard on it.  While mine are a hodge podge of string colors and fabrics, she was making hers color coordinated.

      This is how she showed them to me when I approached her porch for the bag of tape and elastic!
I didn't realize she did this just to show me her work, I thought she was doing this as a decor  for her door!  When I got back to my car and called her to tell her I love this as door decor she set me straight but wouldn't it make a great "curtain?"  This is a keeper!
     And another way quilters conquer their quarantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment