Sunday, May 5, 2019

Things My Son Needs to Know About the World


Things My Son Needs to Know About the World by Fredrik Backman

      It’s no secret that I am probably Fredrik Backman’s biggest fan and because of that it can almost be a forgone conclusion that I will like love any book he writes. So far so good. When I was sent a copy of his latest, Things My Son Needs to Know About the World, I was pretty excited.
     This book is different from the rest. Immediately he apologizes to his infant son for all of the things he has done and will do wrong and we can all relate to all of these things. All of the times he will embarrass him by saying and doing and dressing and sometime, in the future, just showing himself. But more so, it is a discourse on the important things in life – like what you need to know about Ikea and soccer and motion sensitive bathroom lights. I know, you’re saying, “What?”
      That’s kind of what I was thinking as I read each essay title. True to Backman form, what you get is the unexpected told beautifully and in this case with great humor. Honestly, I sat in my chair till 1 a.m. reading this and laughed so hard sometimes I thought my husband would toddle out to see what I was doing.
      I also liked that we got a look into the kind of guy Mr. Backman is. Like he loves his bacon, his soccer, his video games, his wife and son. We see him embracing all of these in all humility and humor and no apologies (well, except for when he does.)
      As the author muddles through the wonders and confusion of newborn parenting – we all know these kids don’t come with manuals – we smile and laugh and wish “darn it, I wish I had said that.”
Needless to say, this gem is available for Father’s Day and it’s much nicer than a pack of golf balls.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds a fun read . I might look for it for the B and J for Father’s Day.

    ReplyDelete