Thursday, April 25, 2019

Plans change

Sometimes plans change.  Sometimes changed plans can work in your favor. My plans with Friend Laurie for today changed but it's still a gorgeous sun shiny day so I took advantage of preparing some stars.  Friend Jan gave Friend Marilyn and I some antique scrappy stars  she knew her church quilt group wouldn't get to.  Many years ago Marilyn and I worked a quilt together so we thought it would be fun to do this one together.  By together I mean we both work on our own but they will be basically the same quilt for both of us.
 I took advantage of the sun and gently soak washed the stars and put them in the sun upside down to dry.  It's such a pretty day today it didn't take long. 
These are very old scrappy stars and no two are alike and are all hand pieced on a foundation fabric. Marilyn is going to prep hers with the starched turned under edge technique.  I'm going to needle turn mine.   We found some fabrics in her stash with dark backgrounds so the stars stand out. Marilyn's is a blue/gray print and mine is a green print. They didn't do well with a light background.
    I'm going to baste them all down and use it as my take-along project this summer.
 A Lowell friend - the one who gave me the feedsacks also included this quilt top in the mix.  It was very chewed up around the edges, like a dog or mouse or something got at it.  Last night I got the seam ripper out and took off the bad edges then this morning gently soak washed it (by hand) and let the nice day dry it. Without the borders it's a nice child/crib size.  I'm on my way to seeing if the good part of the borders might fit back on it now that it's smaller.
Ironed, folded, stacked, now I do what I'm horrible at.  Cutting the background for the stars. They say measure twice, cut once.  Well, I can measure ten times and still cut it wrong and will then call Marilyn in a panicked screaming fit to fix it. It happens.

1 comment:

  1. I always find it so amazing you find all these old quilts. We don’t see much of that here. I can’t wait to see what you do with them. Any hints on how to get those yellow marks out of old quilts and doilies?

    ReplyDelete